Friday, March 29, 2013

My first ever project

My first real scribal project was restoring an old megilla belonging to my teacher Rabbi Marvin Schneider shlit"a. The megilla is 150-200 years old and was in pretty bad condition. Rabbi Schneider found it in a nursing home about 50 years ago in very bad condition. He kept it around meaning to fix it "one of these days" and in June 2012 when he deemed me ready to start working on real scrolls it finally happened.

Before




The background image for this blog is an "after" picture from the next column over.


And here is a more visible copy of the same image.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. What techniques, pens/quills, and inks did you use to restore the megillah, and how long did it take?

    I am about to begin restoring a megillah in very similar condition, and am interested in the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the delay.

    This was my rebbi's idea of and I quote "an exercise in ma'avir b'kulmus" so I did as I was told.

    I used a regular turkey feather kulmus cut just a hair narrower than the ksav. For ink I used a local sofer's home made ink but any iron gall (afatzim v'kanketum) would do. As far as technique, you take a rag and rub over the amud you're about to work on moderately hard to dislodge all the loose ink. Then you go over it filling in all the empty and faded spots as if you're writing from scratch.

    Hatzlacha Rabba in you're new project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete